“Deep garnet purple in color, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Bundschu Family reveals a nose of freshly crushed blackberries and black cherries with hints of creme de cassis, cloves, dark chocolate, cedar and soil. The full-bodied palate is full-on, possessing tons of opulent black fruit and spice flavor layers, framed by firm grainy tannins and a lively acid backbone. It has a very long layered finish.”
– Wine Advocate, February 2017
The Bundschu Family Cabernet represents the apex of the winery’s portfolio. Striving to make the best Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon, this wine from the newly established Moon Mountain District AVA represents that endeavor.
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, Kamen Vineyard, Moon Mountain District, Sonoma County
- 50 percent Barn Block (Martini Clone) and 50 percent Oat Field 3 (Clone 191)
- Harvested and fermented separately, September 29, 2013
- Native fermentations in new 500L Saury Puncheons – Immersion, medium plus toast
- Berries optically sorted, then sorted by hand
- Mix of small pump-overs and punch downs by hand
- On skins for 30 days
- 15% alcohol | pH: 3.8 | TA 0.51g/100ml
Aged 22 months in 100% new French oak selected for refinement and elegance, seasoned for 36 months. To balance and integrate the oak flavor, we chose our best coopers that would allow the expression of the vineyard to shine through: 25% Taransaud heavy toast, tight grain; 25% Ermitage medium-long toast, tight grain; 25% Vicard Prestige medium-long toast, tight grain; 25% Baron Premium medium-long, extra tight grain.
Blessed with another stellar vintage for Cabernet Sauvignon and impeccable fruit from the Kamen Vineyard, the Bundschu family has crafted an intensely layered, dark and savory expression in their best Sonoma Cabernet. Lifted aromas of violets, blue fruits, and cassis intermingle with warm oak spices and cedar. Rich and structured with fine, dusty tannins, the youthfully tight palate hints at dark fruit and earth, boysenberry compote, fresh cinnamon and an enduring finish flush with savory cocoa. Let this wine develop over 10 years and the hints will become abundance.